Wednesday, January 10, 2007

HP40, AL

working moves on Popeye (v5)


Well, on a trip to visit the parents in Georgia, I planned on trying to hitup some of the local bouldering and the classic Horse Pens 40 in Alabama.

The bouldering there is awesome, the rock is bullet hard sandstone, and some of the stuff has little quartz pieces embedded, while other is smooth as glass.

I did some of the classic problems; Bum Boy, Popeye, Hammerhead witch all were great problems with good moves on them. I also got on a couple problems that weren't so great; like Boy Scout Route witch seemed a most contrived problem and a couple v2's that felt more like VB even in my tennies. I even put up a cool new problem out there that requires a huge shouldery move off the bat then some cool moves with a comitting heel hook up an arete, aptly named 'Keebler's Arete' after my family helped with the FA :)

All in all, I really liked this place. I don't know if it would be worth a trip to go to JUST HP40, but a trip to hit-up all the bouldering in the south would be well worth it. This resolved my past experiences with sandstone at castle rock, and HP40 makes castle a choss pile of crap.

1 comment:

Ɓukasz said...

Sunny and Sky rock cimbing club welcome to Yangshuo in China.Online course how to rock climb available.Rock climbing is our passion came and join us.Lern with us how to rock climb within one week!http://www.sunnyskyrockclimbing.com